Wallaby Hill Rehabilitation
Rehabilitating a horse from injury or operation can be a time consuming and lengthy process. Here at Wallaby Hill we are fortunate enough to have Charlotte Andrews, with her particular interest and extensive knowledge of rehabilitating horse back to top perfomance levels, along with a great team of Vets and Equine Bodyworkers and a number of tools and facilities to ensure the best possible rehabilitation outcome.
Charlotte has worked with top riders who have taken their horse’s to Championships and World Games and knows the importance of meticulous management and scruplous attention detail and knows her horses inside and out. Furthermore, Charlotte is both a very accomplished rider and equine massage therapist, so can both ride and feel the the horses, thereby getting a very holistic picture of the horses’s wellbeing. Charlotte understands that each horse’s will require a tailor made rehabilitation program and is happy to work closely with your vet, farrier and any other practitioners. Alternatively she has a strong working relationship with the following, who visit Wallaby Hill regularly and help maintain our team of horses.
- Dr Ramon Perez – SHEC
- Clara Palm – In Palm’s Care
- Genevieve Kirk – Equimotion
- Elka Fischer – Equine Performance & Wellbeing
There are limited places for horses in rehab at Wallaby Hill, so if you are interested in sending your horse for rehab, please get in touch so we can tailor a program for your horse: Rehab@wallabyhill.com.au
CRYOTHERAPY – INSTANTCRYO:
Localized cryotherapy is highly effective for equine rehabilitation, recovery, and performance. INSTANTCRYO™ treatments will help to naturally reduce pain and inflammation, facilitate the recovery of many common injuries and conditions, and aid in overall equine wellbeing. Enhance your stables with the transformative benefits of this efficient cryotherapy device.
- DRUG-FREE, NON-INVASIVE TREATMENT. Cold Therapy is a natural therapy that aids in enhancing and increasing the horse’s natural recovery process.
- NO SIDE EFFECTS. Localised Cryotherapy has no known side effects making it a safe and reliable alternative therapy option for equine pain relief and recovery.
- The uses of equine cryotherapy are wide from treating injuries and speeding up the recovery process, to aiding in the performance and overall general wellbeing of a horse.
INSTANTCRYO™ releases C02 gas at -108°F (-78°C) at a high pressure of 50 bar (756 psi), reducing the skin surface temperature of the injured area to 39°F (4°C) within 30 seconds. This initiates a cascade of physiological adaptations that effectively diminish pain and inflammation, and promote heightened blood flow in the targeted area. In essence, this boosts the body’s inherent recovery processes, allowing the horse to swiftly return to its normal training and activities.
MAGNAWAVE, PEMF – The Maia.
Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields or PEMF is an innovative approach to wellness to rejuvenate the body. By harnessing the natural power of these magnetic fields, PEMF provides a non-invasive way to boost cellular metabolism. PEMF can penetrate deep into tissues, which may lead to a variety of health benefits, such as increased circulation, reduced inflammation, pain relief, and enhanced cellular repair.
- High-powered PEMF devices for horses generate results at an accelerated rate and can be easily adjusted for optimal level of penetration. PEMF promotes cellular exercise, which increases circulation, and blood oxygenation, and helps the body recover naturally while reducing inflammation, and, relieving pain. Using MagnaWave sends a pulsating charge through tissues to provide energy to large focal areas.
LASER THERAPY – Spectravet:
Laser therapy is a painless, non-invasive and very safe treatment that uses controlled amounts of laser light to modulate natural biological processes to produce beneficial clinical effects, such as:
- Relieving pain
- Resolving chronic and acute inflammation
- Reducing edema
- Healing and regenerating neural tissues
- Promoting wound healing and tissue repair
- Modulating immune response
Laser Therapy is not a thermal modality; in most applications, local tissue temperature will not rise more than 1-2°C. At its primary level, laser therapy depends upon the actual interaction between light and tissue, such as the absorption of photons by photoreceptive molecules (chromophores) at a sub-cellular level. These primary interactions create photochemical and photophysical reactions that lead to a cascade of biological and therapeutic processes.
HorseGym Australia Aqua Gym:
- A great tool for maintaining fitness or aiding in rehabilitation after surgery/injury
- Low impact way of building fitness or helping injured tendons, ligments and or muscles return to full work
- The cold water reduces swelling and shin soreness
Gravity is neutralised by the water and muscles and joints are not exposed to the horsel’s full weight. At the same time, the water provides a soft resistance to increase the horse’s efforts and can be filled individually for each horse up to a level of 1.30m in 10cm increments, while the speed of the treadmill can be increased from a slow walk to a fast trot, ensuring a full body work out with minmal concussion and joint impact.
- 50m long horse swim
- Rubber lined entrance & exit
- Submerged rubber lining
Swimming horses is a great way to develop muscle tone and improve cardiovascular function and fitness, while keeping the horse’s weight off the legs and joints. It is an invaluable tool for both maintaing fitness in a well horse and increasing fitness in a recovering horse.
OTTO Sport Gallop Track:
- 1.24km Gallop Track
- OTTO Sport perforated mats to minimise concussion and provide rebound along with skid resistance, combined with OTTO Sport ArenaTex surface ensuring surface stability.
- The track has a couple of hills, one short and steep, if riding clockwise & one with a longer pull if riding anticlockwise.
Great for building fitness, whether doing fast sprint work or slower longer laps, the OTTO Sport surface minimises wear and tear on the horses joints. The steep hill even at a trot causes horses to blow and builds fitness quickly.
- 20m diameter round yard
- OTTO Sport perforated mats to minimise concussion and provide rebound along with skid resistance, topped with sand ensuring a great surface stability.
- Rubber lined sides providing protection for both horse & rider
Round yards are a great place to safely work horses, whether introducing young horses to ridden work, re-introduce horses to being back under saddle or just work them on an even and consistent circle & footing to see how they are progressing.